About Us

Official Stops

Additional Information

Photo Contest


Bring Your Camera
Submit Your Photos

2017 Categories

To Be Announced


Click here for More Information


2015 First Place Winner
in Entertainment

01_Landscapes

"Walnut Grove Unplugged""
Taken By Eric Johnson

 

Contact
Information For:
Hawthorne Centre
Kathy & George Knapp
2188 Veterans Drive
Galesburg, IL 61401
(309)344-2818
Email:lindquist@grics.net


Indoor Craft and Antique Malls

Open All Year Round 7 Days A Week!

Mon-Fri 9 am - 6 pm

Sat 10 am - 5 pm ~ Sun 11 am - 5 pm

Extended Hours For Special Occasions

Handicapped Accessible!

Hot, Cold or Wet...whatever the weather condtions
are like outdoors you will always find comfortable
shopping conditions indoors at the
Hawthorne Centre Craft and Antique Malls!
 

 


Attention Vendors:
Space Available inside the Malls for the Scenic Drive Weekend.
Stop in today at 2188 Veterans Drive, Galesburg for all the details
or call 309-335-7161 or Click Here to send an email.

 

 

 

 

Hawthorne Centre Rich in History

Mayo

Mayo Army Hospital

Construction began in May 1943 and the doors were opened February 1st, 1944.

The records show that originally 77 buildings all of brick were built, eventually growing to 99 buildings. The building of the complex was an amazing accomplishment, but the medical care provided to our wounded soldiers was equally amazing. In the first 11 months, one hundred operations were being done each month. In 1945 casualties were returning in great numbers, there were 9,227 patients admitted. Of these 4.025 were subjected to surgical procedures. Personnel peaked at 1,125. Surgeons frequently worked through the night, that the patient should not suffer. The hospital would treat 18,365 patients in all for just about all known disorders that man can suffer. Demobolization in early 1946 saw the need for beds lessen. In September 1946 the hospital was declared surplus and abandoned by the Army. 804,158 Square feet of floor space was turned over to the State of Illinois to assume a new role.


University Of Illinois Undergraduate Division

Just 30 days after the State of Illinois took possession the University of Illinois opened its Undergraduate Division. This division would go on to serve 2,940 students, majority of them veterans, a number of them in wheelchairs. Many of whom might have delayed or missed their college training, had this facility not been in place. Its campus of 156 acres, now 117 buildings were all under one roof, connected by 1 1/2 miles of corridors. Paraplegics not only went to class as did other students. They refused to be kept out of activities. During the three years of existence the division helped develop the handicapped accessibilty features that are still prevalent on the University of Illinois Champaign campus to this day. Also of special note the University of Illinois had the first college Wheelchair basketball team the "Gizz Kids" and from this group of students and the tireless work of Ted Nugent, director of Rehabilitation the first National Wheelchair Basketball Tournament was formed.

The college was turned over to the Illinois Department of Public Welfare in 1949.

Learn more:

History of UIC


Galesburg Research Hospital

In 1950, after extensive rehabilitation, the college reopened as the Galesburg State Research Hospital. Eventually it became a 2,000 bed institution for the study of the problems of mentally ill persons. Galesburg Research Hospital closed in 1983.